Thursday, August 9, 2012

The End ~ Promise

How many weeks later and I am still posting about the Heavens to Betsy hooking retreat?  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  It was W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L!!!  Camp will be held again next July at Shaker Village and I believe this fall she and Bev will also have a camp in Shipshewana, Indiana.  I highly recommend it!


Class was held at the West Family Wash House.


Lots of beautiful wools ~ both hand dyed and as-is.



Mr. & Mrs. Heavens to Betsy with my partner in crime, Melissa.


Left to right ~ Becky who ran the camp store, Bev and Betsy who hosted the retreat and Rita, who kept the financial books.


Hooked by Betsy.




What fun detail!


A rug being hooked by Bev.


Becky's work in progress.


Melissa hooked Karen Kahle's seaweed pattern that she shared on her blog.


Around the classroom.  The first two ladies are fellow buckeyes.






A Heavens to Betsy pattern I purchased.


Here is Betsy's version.  The colors came out TOTALLY WRONG!


Susy's Chickens is another pattern I purchased.  It's about 26' x 33", which is HUGE for me.


And here's Bev's hooked version.  FUN!


Rita is a very talented basketmaker and offered a class.  Here is my basket.  I opted not to add a handle.


A trip to Shaker Village would not be complete without a trip to a well known local restaurant in Burgin, KY.  The first night I had fried green tomatoes (for the first time ever!) and the second night I opted for the famous Burgin burger ~ a Big Mac on steroids and yummy onion rings, all for about $7.00.


Since returning from camp, I have not pulled a loop on my camp rug, but I have hooked 3 pumpkins with hand torn strips.  I hope to get back to it soon.

As always, thanks so much for stopping by!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

17 comments:

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Love all the wonderful rugs! What fun it must have been :)

Cathy G. said...

I can tell you will be back there again next year! You are still all inspired! The rugs are great and I love those wide cuts! Loved every minute of your photos!
Hugs!
Cathy G

Ann said...

Lauren, I really don't think I would have wanted to leave rug camp. All that beautiful wool. I've enjoyed all your pictures. ~Ann

Primitive Stars said...

Hi Lauren, so glad you showed us the great time you had, was so much fun. Beautiful rugs, love your basket and meal looked so yummy. Enjoy the weekend,Blessings Francine.

acorn hollow said...

More amazing rugs I love the rugs you chose.
Cathy

Mugwump Woolies said...

Love seeing all the rugs and goodies...all that wool is irresistible! What a wonderful place to have a rug camp!
Robyn

Farm Girl said...

Some day I will go to a rug hooking camp. It looks like so much fun and I know I would go crazy in that wool store. The hamburger looks yummy, and I have never tried fried green tomatoes in my life either, were they good? Well I have enjoyed reading about your trip very much.

The Wool Cupboard said...

Wonderful pictures, Lauren...I would LOVE to go to a rug camp one day...sigh. Shipshewana is a few hours drive from me.....hmmmm.

Can't wait to see your finished rug camp patterns!

Hugs,
Linda

old crow said...

Lauren, thanks so very much for sharing! Your pictures are wonderful!! So happy you had such a great time, the wools, the rugs, oh my and the basket!! The burger looks pretty yummy too!! :)
Pug Hugs,
Mona

Larkrise garden girl said...

Love all the pictures wish California wasn't so far away!HUgs Cheri

Merry Wind Farm said...

Hi, Lauren,
I, for one, would never tire of your photos of Betsy's rug camp...it looks so wonderful. I love the cat pattern that you purchase, do you know where I could buy that?

Hugs,
Melinda

weaverpat said...

Your camp looks like the best ever. All that beautiful Heavens to Betsy wool, Betsy as the instructor and having it at the Shaker Village is just icing on the cake!
I'm envious!!!

The Barn Door said...

How fun! ONe of these days I'm going to get to go to a camp!!
Karen & the HOunds.

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Oh, that burger brings back such memories! Love both the patterns you bought! Thanks for sharing all your pix, Lauren ~ you did a great job of taking us along on your fun adventure!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Lauren, what a wonderful rug camp experience. The setting is just lovely and so many talented ladies with their works of art in progress. Someday I am going to give rug camp a try. Burger and onion rings, mouth watering! Sending greetings from Maine, Julie.

jody said...

i have so enjoyed all your pictures and oh my i love your basket! great job! enjoy your evening! i want to go toooo go to heavens to betsy retreat! and i want a burger and onion rings... yum! enjoy your evening!!

TheCrankyCrow said...

What fun rugs....but the two kitty one made me feel guilty. :o( Hmmmm....now you are adding basketweaving to your (endless) list of talents??? I'm impressed! How were the tomatoes? I've never had them....Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin