Friday, September 3, 2010

Play Day ~ ~ ~

I thought I would take a vacation day today and have an extra-long holiday weekend. I decided it would be a good day to go play. My BFF couldn't come, so I went to play by myself. About 2/3 of the way to my first stop, I was pulling on the highway and my little SUV filled with smoke. Now, I'm not mechanically-minded at all, but I know this can't be good! I quickly pulled off the side of the highway and my first instinct was to check my oil. I have been having some problems with burning oil and I had an oil change this week. Plus, checking my oil is the only thing I know to do (besides filling the gas tank!). I got out of the vehicle with cars and trucks whizzing by at 65+ MPH. That's kind of scary. I checked and I had plenty of oil. How nice that a good samaritan also stopped to see if he could be of assistance. He double checked my oil - probably figured a blond didn't know what she was doing! So the oil is okay and the smoke is gone, so I proceed to the first exit and call my Sweetie. Now, he is a real car guy ~ spent his career as an engineer with GM.
He said, "What did the smoke smell like"?
She said, "I don't know".
He said, "Did it smell acrid or sweet"?
She said, "I don't know. I don't think either".
He said, "What color was the smoke"?
She's thinking smoke is smoke but of course does not say that.
Anyway, he suggests that I turn around and come home. I say I'm more than halfway there. He says it really would be wise to go home. So, I don't listen very well and continued down the road! Thankfully I had no more problems, but it is a mystery as to what happened. I'm sure he will pop the hood tonight and try to figure it out. I am so lucky to have such a handy guy :-)
My first stop was Seville Antiques is Seville, Ohio. What a WONDERFUL shop. I have not been to a shop with such high quality antiques in a long time. Of course, the prices reflected the quality. I actually did not buy anything, but did drool my way through the shop!
Many of the dealers had their antiques set up in room settings.


There were quite a few antique samplers.
The dry sink in the back was reasonably priced and a very nice piece of New England origin.

I just love the bullet holes in the cow weathervane!
Lots of smalls.
A few hooked rugs.
If money was no object, this corner cupboard would have come home with me, but with a $4600 price tag, I thought I'd better pass. It was such a nice small size. The pewter-filled cupboard was pretty nice, too.

After Seville Antiques, I stopped at a couple more mall/shops. I bought a lidded picnic basket. I keep buying these with the intention of hooking small rugs for the top. I am getting quite the collection of baskets, but have yet to hook a rug for one, but for only $9.50, it was a bargain. I also picked up one small Christmas gift. I then made a quick stop at the A.I. Root Candle outlet store (they have the best burning wax candles) before heading home.
Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

11 comments:

SUE said...

You are quite the adventurer to proceed after the smoke - good for you! It is always fun to window shop!! SUE

moosecraft said...

Oh my! I like the dry sink and the shelves in the last pic! Surely those two items would have fit in your SUV? LOL! It's weird for a car to fill with smoke and then be OK... maybe some animal stuffed some dried something on the engine and it just burned off... hoping it was something simple anyways...

moosecraft said...

Oh! Just remembered that one time we were smelling roasted peanuts while we were driving our station wagon a few years back... looked under the hood to find that a mouse had made a nest with those maple whirlygigs right up against the engine block! Once we cleared that out... no more roasted peanut smell... LOL! ;-)

Kim said...

You are a true shopper. Never let a little smoke get between a women and bargain-hunting mission! LOL Glad it worked out and you got to enjoy the rest of your day.

weaverpat said...

Glad you were able to continue on your trip without further mishap. Looks like a fun day! Oh! I love anique samplers!!! And some of those cupboads would fit well in my house!

bittersweet said...

You are so funny Lauen, but glad a little smoke didn't keep you from shopping, especially since you were in Seville. My favorite shop also. Gotta take a trip there soon. Glad you had a fun day.

Tammy Burks said...

Sounds like a fun day, minus the car trouble....glad you were able to continue on your way and enjoy your uber long weekend! I'm with you ....love the cow weathervane...bullet holes and all!

acorn hollow said...

Well you are brave. the cupboard was nice but 4600 yikes. it is always good to look. I met a nice hooker at a yard sale she is going to get me information to a hook in in my area. Can't wait. I love Root candles I burn candles most nights to get rid of the dinner smell. Glad you had a good day.

Anonymous said...

Hello Lauren~your trip sounds like something that would happen to me and my husband would tell me to turn around too! So glad that you arrive safely and got a little shopping in!
Love that cow too!

woolwoman said...

Glad you had a safe trip antiquing and your long holiday weekend started off well after all. Hope your get your hooking mojo back and get busy on those basket tops ! Melody

Rugs and Pugs said...

Dear, If you like bullet holes in antiques, just let me know. I am always looking for target practice.
S.O.