Friday, June 12, 2009

Mini rugs in punch needle

To my first time visitors ~ WELCOME!!! To the kind folks who have visited before ~ THANK YOU!!! I hope everyone has a fun weekend planned. I'm heading to an antique show tomorrow. I can't even remember the last time I attended one. I'm thinking it was last fall. I do hope I find a few small treasures. Hopefully I won't find something too expensive that I just can't live without!
I really should have done some yard work this evening, but instead decided to pull a few loops on the cat hooked rug I am working on. I haven't made enough progress to post another picture of it. Hopefully soon ;-)
Here are a few punch needle pieces I have done and all have been given as gifts. I use 6 strands of DMC floss in all my pieces and I like to finish them as mini rugs. I actually learned to punch from Lori over at farmhousenotforgotten (I don't yet know how to link her from my blog ~ can anyone in blogland help me?). I usually am self-taught when I want to learn a new craft, but thought it would be fun to take a class from her. She has more talent in her little finger than I have in my entire body...lol!










Please stop back on Flag Day. I think that's an appropriate day to start my patriotic give-a-way.
Lauren





5 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Good morning, Lauren ~ Cute little punched pieces ~ you have been busy!! Hope you find some good things at the antique show!!

Gayle said...

I love the way you finish your punched pieces! Can you share a picture of the back so we can see how it's done? Always looking for new ideas for my finishes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren~your punch needle is just beautiful!
I've started two and never finished them...so much re-threading! But after seeing yours, I think I am going to give it another try! I too,am self taught (even threading that crazy needle!)(even the blogging thing!) (: Thankyou for visiting my blog...I would love to take a hooking class from Alice and see her home...maybe someday...I've enjoyed stopping by your blog and will drop in again soon! warm regards~Kathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Alice ~ Those little mats went to new homes quite some time ago. They are fun to make as gifts. See my most recent post about the antique show ;-(

Gayle ~ Thanks for the compliment. I tried taking a picture of the back, but I'm lacking in photographic skills! I use a piece of felted wool (tightly woven - not one that would fray) and size it to the punch needle piece and stitch it on with tiny little stitches as invisible as I can get them. One day when I get really ambitious, I will do a blanket stitch around the "tongues". I hope that helps. Email me if you have any more questions.

Kathy ~ Thanks so much for stopping by. The reason I like the 6 strand method is that you don't have to rethread all the time. You can punch the entire skein if the area is big enough. You must get to Alice's! I think she is still mopping my drool marks off her floor...lol!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Hi Lauren, Thanks for stopping by!! I love all your NP projects - especially the bunnies and how you finished them. Very cute!

Oh yes, Harvest Gold and Avocado - they do bring back memories!!

hugs, Linda