Monday, June 29, 2009

Meet my new foster pug ~ ~ ~

I'd like to introduce my new foster girl. I picked her up yesterday. Isn't she gorgeous? She came with the unfortunate name of Fat Girl. Yes, Fat Girl, and for a pug she is very thin! (I do hope we can give her a new name!) She is three years old and was given up along with two other pugs. Thankfully Ohio Pug Rescue came to the rescue. The pugs were flea infested when picked up and not spayed or neutered. Fat Girl has obviously had puppies. NO MORE! OPR does not adopt pugs out with the chance that they will be bred.
She has been such a good girl! She slept with me last night and unlike most pugs, slept close but did not crowd me. I didn't have the heart to crate her when I went to work today, so she was gated in the kitchen area. When I came home at lunchtime, she was very excited. She is a screamer! What a hoot to hear. I think the entire neighborhood heard her, too. Same thing after work. I just had to laugh.
Other than some sore areas from scratching at the fleas (which are all gone!), she appears to be in good health. She will be brought up to date on all her shots, heartworm tested, microchipped, and spayed. She will then be ready to go to her forever home.
I'm sure you wonder how I will be able to give her up. It is very difficult! I was told, "the first one is the hardest and you will cry and the second one is hard and you will cry....". Get the picture? When I gave up my first foster, I took a half day off work and spent the afternoon crying. I just knew that I was doing the right thing and that she was going to a wonderful new mommy who would absolutely spoil her. It is very bittersweet and so very rewarding to foster.

If you are considering a pet, please consider an animal from a shelter or from a rescue group. Just about every breed of dog has a rescue group. There are so many animals looking for homes. PLEASE!!! Do not buy a pet from a pet store. The dogs are from puppy mills and most live in deplorable conditions!
Pug hugs to everyone ;-)
Lauren

4 comments:

Kathy (woolfind) said...

Such a sweetie, and what a wonderul thing you do with fostering. I applaud you. Must be very hard!

woolwoman said...

what a cutie pie - she looks very happy on your couch! Funny about your Elise going to AU - the company I work for owns 3 car dealerships in Auburn and that is my 2nd home - I LOVE auburn and spend a lot of time there. I even belong to a knitting group and stitching group there. still looking for rug hookers in that area but so far have not located any. Good luck with finding precious a great home. Mel

Anonymous said...

Your new foster pug is sweet, your blog is terrific, your artsy-crafty skills are top notch, your kindness is wonderful and you take excellent photographs.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Thanks to all of you for your comments! My foster is a real sweetie and I know she'll have no trouble finding a forever home (after she is spayed and up to date on everything).
Mel ~ my niece still goes back to Auburn a couple times a year ~ always to a football game plus she still has friends there.
Anonymous ~ glad you stopped by and please come again. Thank you for the compliment on the pics I take ~ I generally am not happy with them.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren